J had his follow up surgery appointment yesterday. I wasn't sure he was going to make it. We have had our good energy days and lots of low energy days. Yesterday was one of those days. So I loaded a brother and his Ipad and off we went to our "favorite" place of all time. (that's a bitter joke)
J had his superman hat (it's cool) and of course a BYU hoodie cause that always makes the U doctors happy. (another joke)
Well, we somehow got a newbie nurse. Nothing against nurses who are just starting...but really, listen to the patient or the mother of the patient please!
She told J to roll up his sleeve for the blood pressure, I told her that they normally just take it with his sleeve down. Blood pressure good, heart rate a little high; 113.
Then with her loud voice she told J she was taking his temp. He is not deaf!
Yes he had another low grade...99.8 or not even 38 C. Nothing to worry about...yet!
Then we went into our waiting room. J was very quiet and his brother was really trying his best to entertain. The nurse was trying to get information and asked all the routine questions. Which is fine. But this one, was seriously stupid on her part. She asked, "Does J have accidents when going to the restroom?" "What do you mean," was my reply. She then clarified. Does he soil his pants before he is able to use the restroom. I then told her he wasn't toilet trained. You would think she understood, but nope...she asked the question again. "So he has accidents before he can get to the restroom?" No, I replied...again J is not toilet trained so therefor he is always having accidents. DUGH! What does not toilet trained mean? Look in that silly little reference book of yours!
Back to the appointment. The surgeon came in, touched his gadget...everything looks good. (we have heard this before) He has lost 5 more pounds, but is eating. I am reminded that he was a very sick young man and that his body might just take a while to recover. Neither of us know why he isn't interacting or so drained, but we are both hoping it's just part of the recovery. I told the doc my fear of it not working at the 9 week mark (that is where it all happened) so he said he would see J at 10 weeks to make sure it doesn't happy again. He then said in the 12 years of working at the U he has never seen this happen before. That's right folks...J is the first! at least for this doc.
Don't worry, I'm sure someone reading this will say it happened in their family or has heard of it before, and that's okay. I really wouldn't wish what happened to J to happen to anyone.
So...
I haven't a clue as to when he is going back to school. I am hoping for next week if he can tolerate it and have the energy to go. We do have an appointment for the Drug doctor next Friday (the 13th) to discuss his non sleeping through the night problem and one of his major behavioral meds isn't exactly dissolving.
But he's home!
1 comment:
Thanks for the up-date. Keep the good and loving work you are doing with J!!!
Post a Comment