Friday, August 27, 2010

Doctors with their head in the ground

J was almost excited to go to school yesterday. We took pictures and talked about the buses on the way to school. We did have to park differently then last year due to the location of his new classroom. As I took him in, he was fine. Once we got to the room which is very close to the door, he was alright until I pulled the meds from his bag and started to leave. Honestly, I think this is where it went down hill. The teacher is very nice and was redirecting as best as she could. (not knowing J for more then 1 minute) So I left and delivered what was necessary to the clinic.
Then I went to work...(the funnest place to work)
After work I have 2 messages on my phone..
(I can't get phone calls at work, so I leave my phone in the car)
Both of these messages are from the nurses at J's school saying he has 101 temp and I need to come get him. Ok...I'm in SL and to travel to Riverton...oh my heavens.
So thankfully my mom calls the school and tells them I'm on my way.
When I pick up J he is cuddled on the bean bag chair...sorry little site.
He is clamy, shakin and all...not really hot. The teacher asks if he will be back, and I tell her that I usually keep them 24 hours if they are sick so we'll try again on Monday, if he's feeling better.

Okay...so that's where the title comes in!
I call the doctor's office and tell of J's condition. They said his original physician isn't available, but one of her interns is...WONDERFUL!
So I get the appointment..of course we are late...and have to wait 20 minutes before being seen.
Then the doctor comes in...he asks the usual questions, does a brief exam and then continues to tell me there is really nothing he can do because J can't communicate where the pain is or how he is feeling...ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!!!
So, being tired and frustrated I reply..."FINE! then you write a note to his school stating that J just has a fever, you haven't a clue why and that he is okay to return to school."
Evidently he didn't like that...so he said he would get the original doctor to come and see us.
She comes in, does the same exam..gets J up on the examing table and checks out his stomach. Asks when the appointment is for the surgery consult is and says...it could be a virus that is hitting the kids now where they have a fever but no symptoms that last 1 to 2 days. She also wanted a blood workup to make sure the whites and reds are playing nice.
End result...NOTHING! After 2 hours at the doctors..getting blood...J is still in pain and lets you know it, he's eating very little and it's a VIRUS?!
COME ON PEOPLE! get your heads out of the text book and think outside the box!

P.S. I really think J had a Panic Attack and maybe that triggered it...new room, new aides, new teacher....and MOM leaving...maybe I need to become a doctor?

No comments: