Saturday, April 7, 2012

All Because of Wisdom


On Thursday, J had oral surgery which started at 11:00.  He was sedated and they found that he had 1 tiny cavity in one of his front top teeth (I forget which one) and also 4 wisdom teeth that needed to come out.  His bottom 2 wisdom teeth were pretty impacted, so they had to break them and also dig them out of his jaw bone.  This took about 4 hours or until 4 ish.  The dentist waited til J was talking and could get in the wheel chair and then Dad and I took him home.  Well, things just went down hill from there.


On the way home I noticed that J wasn't breathing really good.  So Dad pulled over and we got him to wake up a little more and talk/moan.
But by the time we got him home, he was out and his breathing was shallow.  I ran inside to get Bryant to help us carry J inside and see if that would help him come to.  His breathing was VERY shallow.  We laid him on the ground, stimulated his chest, yelled at him...everything to make him wake up.  This didn't work so we got him upstairs in the cold shower.  Dad was in there holding him and J started to wake up again, saying things like, "I'm all wet, it's cold, I don't feel good" So we thought he was breathing okay, not really good but at least started talking.  We got him dressed in warm cloths and laid him downstairs.  Over the next hours his breathing just became more and more shallow until about 8:30ish, we decided he needed more oxygen at the hospital.  So Dad went to get our youngest and our other son took his date home.  Well, while they were gone, J started to foam blood out his nose and this is where I panicked!  So I called Dad, he rushed home from the church (it's not far) and called 911 while I held J's head so he wouldn't choke on the foaming blood.


Needless to say our neighborhood got some awesome excitement.  2 police cars, a fire engine and an ambulance.  J was unresponsive so they started to bag him and get an IV in him.  I got to ride in the ambulance with J to the Hospital (not of our choice...let's just call it the home of gumball doctors...with the exception of the ER)
J came to before getting to the hospital which was good.  In the ER they did all sorts of blood work.  Due to not ever having J there, we had to go through ALL of his past 4 surgeries and his history of not breathing after each one.  While doing this they intabated J and hooked him up to a breathing machine.  AWesome!
We were moved to an ICU room where the doctors wanted to put a pic line and a feeding tube in J.  I asked them for what! He has never in all the surgeries and especially the scarey one in December had a pic line, what is so special this time.  Why a feeding tube, J knows how to eat, that wasn't the problem, his jaw is sore due to have 4 WISDOM teeth out!  Oh, I know I was probably written down as the Witchy mom, but holy cow...just give the boy oxygen, do what is needed so he can go home and heal.  Nope, he got pneumonia there too! The doctors said he probably got it at the dentist office.  What?
Anyways...I was overjoyed  when his fever broke on Friday and soft foods and juice were being eaten by J.  By Saturday J's swollen face due to the teeth and IV's were finally coming down and he was getting pretty grumpy about being in the hospital.  His fever is gone, but once again we are on horse pills for the pneumonia.  The doctor there told us that J would continue to get worse with every surgery and his breathing, so we might want to look at other medicines to give him at night for sleeping so he's not so drugged for surgeries...
WHAT the HECK!~
They also said as we were leaving that if J developed a fever or stopped breathing again, to bring him back to the hospital.
Over my dead body will we return to the Hospital of Gumball doctors...we'll make the 18 minute drive to our original hospital where J has been treated and they know what the protocol is with J.
Remember this is all due to 4 teeth being pulled out.  J never does anything easy!
What a trooper!
P.S. The emergency crew and the police were wonderful and so caring for him!
 

2 comments:

Crissie said...

Holy Cow!! J really likes to make things exciting for you!! There's no adventure in easy right?? :) We'll pray that the "excitement" slows way down for you all. Enough is enough!!

Kim said...

How scary! And to be told all that garbage from the hospital. Good for you for taking a stand and not doing what most of us would do and say "Ok...whatever you say. You're the doctor." Prayers for a speedy recovery for J and that you and Doug will have some rest/peace as well. Hang in there! You are loved!