Tuesday, September 28, 2010

More Testing

 This was the day where we were going to see what J was having done to help his chronic BM problem.  He was excited (actually I think he was thinking he was going to school, because he took his hat off and laid his little guys in his hat) I told him he could wear his hat and take his "little guys" with us.  We got some gas and then as we entered the freeway I told J we were going to the doctor's.  He was more interested in going under the bridge and catching the cars.
As we checked in and they were doing vitals on J, a nurse (maybe a 1st year or a 1st day) asked me a silly question.  I was hoping the doctor wasn't this "silly"  The question that was asked was, "When did J get his disabilities?"  What?  I have never been asked that.  I seriously didn't know.  I replied, "You mean his Autistic and Mental Retardation?"  Silence...then I said, "You mean when he was diagnosed?"  Yah, I'm sure that is what she meant...silly nurse!
The doctor came in and started asking about the test J had done but used words that had more vowels, letters then I had heard before.  So I simply asked him to please say them in "Lamans" terms...
He did and I was relieved.  We went through J's pass and things that had been done in CO as well as here.  There is really no easy answer.  2 types of surgery were given.

1st - a procedure where they insert a tube directly into his colon and the golytyel will be given that way so that it can quickly dissolve the BM's faster.
or...
2nd - remove the colon which means he would wear a bad (I'm guessing)

I asked the doctor if there was a surgery where they could just remove the colon that isn't working and reconnect it to the part that is...NOPE.
Hmmmmm...
There isn't an easy fix.  I told the doctor, that I knew that, there is never an easy fix when it comes to J.  He is not a text book person!
The doctor wants to run 2 more test...the swallowing of the "Lego" pill and get his stomach x-rayed on the 3rd and 5th day instead of what we had done previously where we just got it x-rayed on the 5th day.
He also wanted J to have a test done where they put this cream on his rectum and watch him poop.  I asked how in heaven's name does he think they will accomplish this.  J isn't potty trained.  I told him how we get J to use the restroom and that it was a hit or miss when it came to BM's  So we are NOT doing that test.
The last test will be where they insert a small tube in the rectum and see how the muscles work.  This will be while J is awake.  I told the doctor he'd better have nurses to help hold him down and he replied, "Really?"  bahahaha!
There is no way J would let that happen while being awake.  So I told him I'd bring my son and we'd handle it.  He was concerned that J would get hurt while being held down and I told him the only people that might get hurt would be my son and I...but we were use to it...(need to buy yucky shirts!)
So here is the timeline:
Next week I have to take him off most of his laxative meds (behavior will be NOT FUN!) we have the x-ray's done and the muscle test done...that means he will miss Wednesday school.  Then we'll start all the laxatives and enemas on Friday night after the last x-ray.  We have an appointment with the doctor again to discuss the results on the 19th of October...
He has told me that usually surgery will be schedule no later then 6 weeks out...That would mean Thanksgiving week!  JOY!
This doctor also said that he would personally take care of J and that the residents won't be involved.  I have nothing against residents but J is not a learning tool.
Any questions?  UGHHHHH!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are here for you!!!

Crissie said...

Ugggh is right!! I'm so sorry Pam. We'll pray that it all goes well.

MOM & DAD said...

Our prayers continue to be offered in behalf of J, P and D, as well as his brothers. We won't forget the Dr. who must make decisions about J.

Linda said...

At least this doctor cares enough to see this through himself. Maybe there is hope to get some serious answers with the next tests.