The anesthesiologist was new and I probably would have given him a good hit in the arm, but decided not to. When he gave J the first shot to go to sleep it was fine. But then trying to get the IV, oh my goodness. He wrapped J's little arm so tight that it started bulging. I told him of my concern and he just replied that it was his muscle. Seriously, idiot, I know what my sons arms look like! Then he stuck him, but of course the vein blew. So I again explained about J's veins and this time he listened. He was more on the impatient side which irritated me the most.
Surgery only last about 45 minutes out of the 2 hours they scheduled. They removed the infected mesh but kept the rest in because new tissue had already attached itself to it. The stoma looks great. Now we get to watch the incision site (again) to see if it heals or if a more serious surgery to take all the mesh out is needed. AWESOME!
They wheeled J into recovery were we spent the next 6 hours waiting for a room. INSANE! J did great. A couple of times he complained that "it hurt" so what does the nurse give him.....narcotics. Remember J can't have them due to his lack of oxygen when he receives this type of a pain medication. I asked the nurse what she was giving him and once I found out, I told her J couldn't have it, but since it wasn't written in the "notes" by the anesthesiologist small dosages would be alright. (okay, by this time, I was like, okay...if his oxygen goes down, don't blame me you idiot!~) So guess what happens next...Yup, his oxygen starts to drop. Not as bad as all the times before. When it reaches the 88 % she panics. I'm laughing inside, which probably isn't good, but serves her right for giving him the stuff. She's pounding on his heart, almost yelling at him to breath (his oxygen is only at 84%, it's been quiet lower for me to panic) So then I lean into J and tell him to breath, he just smiles and replies, "yah"! ahaha!
We finally get out room around 4. We see some old nurses and some new ones. J was on oxygen until we left the hospital the next day. I think they are more relaxed because they know Dad and I will take care of him. Sometimes that's a good thing, this time it was a bad thing. It took forever to get a nurse to come and help with supplies or even get J some juice. I'm glad we weren't there very long.
Now on to recovery and getting him stronger.
Yes, I condensed this story...it's almost like say ditto to all the other times.
No comments:
Post a Comment