Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saturday

I'm probably counting the days in the hospital wrong.  So the last post meaning Thursday.  So for the right counting, today (Saturday) is the 5th day in the hospital.
Last night J slept a little better.  Still throwing up here and there...having bowels (this is good)
It's going to be long though.
He started to show some type of rash on the left side of the stomach which they think are shingles since he's had chicken pox.  Seriously, one more thing to add to J while he is trying to get out of this place.
Over all, the nurses have been good.  Most of the doctors (interns, student...white jacket people) have been good.  The head of his surgery will be back in town today or tomorrow, but he's even called about J's condition while on vacation...It reminds me of a wonderful doctor in CO that did that.
I've only had a conflict with one of the "interns" from last night...ohhh, did she make me mad!
So...story time.
J was doing alright, so a student doctor came in and said we could slowly start giving him Popsicles. YAH! food!
So I knew to go slow and it was his job to tell me that.  I even waited about 30 minutes in between Popsicles to make sure he didn't throw it up.  He was holding them down pretty good, which was exciting.  I was on Popsicle #3 (remember they are the thin ones) when this intern (grrr) came in and told me to stop because he was throwing up.  I told her that he hadn't thrown up any of the Popsicles and that I was going slow...yup, didn't listen and said they would just increase his IV...like J is going to know he is getting something to eat via the arm.  RIGHT!  Then while checking J's stomach out, She kept telling him she was going to look at his stomach, and getting louder with each of J's complaints.  I finally told her it didn't matter how loud she gets, just do the exam.  Then J said, "I don't want a Popsicle"...meaning the opposite of course.  She referred to it and said that J was telling me he didn't want any more any ways, I tried to tell her that it's a game we play, but again.. she wasn't listening.  
I voiced my complaint about her bedside manner to the nurse and she said as soon as the "real" doctor showed up to tell him, and he'd take care of it.  Well, this morning the on call staff came in, she being one of them, but she didn't do the talking, the head intern did. I listened and heard what they had to say and didn't look at the "she-devil" once.  
I think most of the doctors/nurses working with J know he's not going to be text book care.  "She-Devil" just needs to get with the program.
So how much longer do we have in the hospital...I don't have a clue...

No comments: